The Blackhawks Ice Hockey Club was formed in 1947 and played at the famed St. Moritz rink in St. Kilda. The club has a storied history as one of Victoria’s oldest club and has featured many household names of the game who have represented Victoria and Australia over the years, including at the Squaw Valley Olympics in 1960. The club remained at St. Moritz until 1977 when it moved to the newly opened Coliseum Rink in Dandenong. In 1987, the club was forced to re-locate to the Olympic Ice Skating Centre in Oakleigh when the Dandenong rink shut down.
The Hawks remained at Oakleigh until a remodelled Iceland was opened at Ringwood in 1994 and housed the club through a growth surge that saw a great crop of juniors dominate the competition through to the clubs first “A” Grade championship win for 18 years in 2002. This rink also went the way of others and closed in 2003. 2004 saw the club housed at the short-lived Eastern Ice Skating Centre in Bayswater. Its closure the following year saw the club return to Oakleigh which was the only rink in Melbourne and housed all the IHV clubs except for Bendigo. While this period saw stunted development of the league due to lack of ice time, the club experienced sustained success through different grades. 2009 saw the opening of the long awaited Medibank Icehouse at Docklands which is the location for the majority of checking level competition of IHV. With the opening of the Icehouse, a major re-structure occurred with the clubs no longer controlling or fielding junior level teams.
The increase in available ice time however allowed for the growth of a non-checking and recreational level along with the existing IHV Premier A & Reserve levels. Due to the increase in numbers, the IHV competition is divided into two seasons – Winter & Summer.